One of the major guidance that is put forward is to retain a wall that surrounds a storage area where potentially polluting substances are handled, stored or processed to contain any unintended escape of material from that area until remedial action could be taken. Bundling comes in several different forms like Bunded wall, spill bunding, floor bunding and flexible bunding the main purpose of the bund is to contain the usually toxic chemicals and make sure that if a spill occurs that it is contained. Concrete bunds were an expensive and difficult method of bunding an area and are not an ideal solution when vehicles need to be used to access the chemicals being stored. If you are looking for a collapsible bund, you could reach out to Spill Station.
Plastic chemical bunds as well as spill pallets are usually cheap when compared to steel bunds. It is because they are moulded. They could be manufactured at a lower cost than steel bunds which are fabricated or welded and coated. Steel bunds are used by those who need to move non-corrosive chemicals around on forklifts. Normally, plastic chemical bunds are static. It means that they stay in one location and are not stable enough to be used to transport chemicals around on forklifts. Click here to know about Spill station.
Benefits of using Chemical Bunds and Plastic Spill Pallets
- It is usually available off the shelf for quicker delivery
- Easily cleaned
- Low purchase cost
- Lightweight and easily moved
- No maintenance required
- Great resistance to corrosion from corrosive chemicals
Advantages of Steel Chemical Bunds and Steel Spill Pallets
- Ability to transport chemical drums and containers on steel bunds and spill pallets
- Superior load carrying capacity
- Great fire resistance
- Strength or impact resistance and would not easily be punctured by forklifts etc.
Portable bunds, also known as collapsible bunds are useful, inexpensive and unique snap-out containment solutions. They could be quickly erected in an emergency spill situation or used in a portable storage area for drums, plants, tanks and machinery. The lightweight and flexible but highly durable materials mean that temporary bunds could easily be cleaned, reused, stored and transported.
The use of hazardous substances, chemicals or dangerous goods stored in Intermediate Bulk Containers (IBC) requires the use of spill containment systems or spill containment bunds. You could find a wide range of IBC Containment Bunds for various hazardous chemical classes if you look for them online from agencies that sell related products. The spill containment bunds that are available from such agencies comply with regulations and standards.
IBC spill containment bunds include:
- Polyethylene IBC Containment Bund: It perfectly stores a single IBC or pallet of smaller drums
- Polyethylene Double IBC Bund used for Containment: It can store up to two IBCs or two pallets of smaller drums
- Polyethylene IBC Containment Bund equipped with Framed Canvacon Cover
- Polyethylene Double IBC Containment Bund that has Framed Canvacon Cover
- Powder Coated Steel Double size IBC Containment Bund
- Powder Coated Steel Single size IBC Containment Bund